Wednesday, December 14, 2016

I'm SO BORED!

Using a dull ax requires great strength,
    so sharpen the blade.
That’s the value of wisdom;
    it helps you succeed.
Ecclesiastes 10:10 
 
Ever been bored?  I'll admit it, I have been bored in so many meetings and classes that it was all I could do to keep my eyes open.  When you are bored, time itself seems to run slow (and sometimes feels as though it is running backward).   We are so accustomed to instant gratification that anything that makes us wait creates in us a sense of boredom!
 
I have ridden with deputies who cursed my name forever when I said something to the effect of, "Hope it's not too busy this shift."  Most deputies with whom I am familiar feed on the energy of action.  If they have to stop (to write a report, for example) they very quickly become bored.
 
I can remember going on family trips across the country and after we had been informed that "Are we there yet" would result in a bruised bottom, we would switch to "I'm SO BORED!"  So we learned to always carry books with us.
 
Speaking of being bored, I had been asked to deliver the sermon, several years ago, and there was a big guy seated about half way back.  When the hymns were sung, he sang enthusiastically. When it was Welcome and Greet Time, he shook hands with so much enthusiasm.  Then when I stood up to deliver the sermon, his head fell forward and he was sound asleep.  He woke up when I finished, and then greeted me at the back door with "Great sermon Preacher!  Can't remember when I've heard something so moving."  I won't tell you the colorful monologue which took place in my mind, but suffice it to say, it wasn't "Bless you my child."
 
God did not create us to be constantly on the go and always doing something.  We can't cut trees all the time!  Sometimes we have to stop and sharpen the ax.  Believe it or not, boredom is a choice!  Use your time wisely!

No comments:

Post a Comment