Wednesday, June 23, 2021

Honest?


May I ask you a question? How truly honest are you when you pray?  In your prayer time, do you tell Abba "nice things" that we think He wants to hear?  Do you tell Him exactly what's on your heart, hiding nothing?  

My turn to make a confession...my prayer time used to be very structured. I would, set a timer, read a devotion (which may or may not have actually been relevant with my life or struggles), then I would "assume the proper pose" and I read a prayer say "amen" and go about my day.  I didn't really get anything out my prayer time, but I knew I was expected to have that ritual every day. But why would Abba be interested in hearing anything I had to say? After all, He has more important things to do, such as running the universe.

It wasn't until years later that I learned the truth. It wasn't that I was taking prayer seriously, because I was. The truth of the matter was that I was taking it TOO seriously.  I thought I had to have a proper position (head bowed, eyes closed, hands folded), and that I had to "sound holy" and use the proper words without my mind wandering to whatever struggles I was enduring.  I had been to prayer retreats, conferences, seminars, filling notebook after notebook on the "Proper Methods of Prayer."  

The truth is found in Hebrews 4:14-16: "Since we have a great high priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast to our confession. For we do not have a high priest incapable of sympathizing with our weaknesses, but one who has been tempted in every way just as we are, yet without sin. Therefore let us confidently approach the throne of grace to receive mercy and find grace whenever we need help." Did you catch that? Jesus already understands everything we have, are, and will go through.  He knows!

I realize this is rather lengthy, and I do apologize, but Abba has impressed on my heart that someone needs to hear this, including me.  READ THE PSALMS!  It is a book of human emotions! In the Psalms, there is anger, hatred, doubt, fear, complaint, and worship! And in all this, there is the awareness that Abba is in charge of everything.  Remember when the Disciples asked Jesus to teach them how to pray?  What did Jesus do? Did He pull out His notes from a prayer conference or seminar? NO.  He simply talked to Abba.

As a matter of fact, Jesus went so far as to tell them (and us): "When you pray, don’t babble on and on as the Gentiles do. They think their prayers are answered merely by repeating their words again and again. Don’t be like them, for your Father knows exactly what you need even before you ask Him!" What was Jesus' example?  Be honest, Hide nothing, Be genuine.

Here's my challenge for all of us: Talk with Abba! No formulas, no "right way" to pose, just talk! Tell Him everything that's on your mind, the good, the bad, the scary, to happy...everything!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment