Wednesday, August 11, 2021

Hiding In Plain Sight

"Even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light."
2 Corinthians 11:14


As a kid, I used to enjoy watching Superman.  "Faster than a single bullet. More powerful than a locomotive. Able to leap buildings in a single bound."  The images of such immense power amazed me.  However....I also remember the day I realized that the people who couldn't tell that Clark Kent and Superman were the same person...weren't very observant.  Let's face it, you come to work in a suit and tie, a crime is committed (on every show), Clark Kent excuses himself, dashes into the nearest phone both to change clothes...(side note: when he tore off his suit in the phone booth, did he just leave it there or did he have a "super backpack"?)... the off he'd dash to save the day.  All the while, no one caught on that Clark Kent was just a disguise.

Every spy movie I ever saw had one thing in common, the spy used disguises (camouflage) so they would blend in and not alarm anyone.  Think about it, soldiers use camouflage. So do hunters. So do actors. And so...does....the deceiver!

How did the wicked queen get Snow White to bite the apple? By appearing as a kindly old lady. What happened when Snow White bit the apple, the wicked queen's true self was revealed.

The deceiver, according to Scripture, was an Angel.  Not just any angel, but the most beautiful.  Yet he wanted more and plotted to take Abba's place.  Abba threw him down from Heaven to the earth along with all of his minions and they would be forever condemned.  So what did the deceiver do?  He deceived Eve and Adam in an attempt to thwart Abba's plans.  

What does he do with us?  He seeks to deceive us into sin by making it sound like it isn't sin.  Even the Apostle Paul tells us: "I see another law working in my body, which makes war against the law that my mind accepts. That other law working in my body is the law of sin, and it makes me its prisoner. What a miserable man I am! Who will save me from this body that brings me death? I thank God for saving me through Jesus Christ our Lord!" - Romans 7:23-25.

Abba has provided rescue for us in Jesus!  He has provided forgiveness through Jesus!  He has provided for us through Jesus!  The deceiver may hide in plain sight, but he cannot hide from Abba!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment